One of the things most people visiting the island hope to return home with is a great suntan!
Here are some tips for making sure you get the best possible tan, with the least risk of skin damage.
- Lanzarote has much higher radiation from the sun than northern European countries because of our location and our low air pollution
- You’ll tan even when its cloudy here
- The wind can mask the effects of burning
- You’ll continue to tan, even when swimming
- The sun here is at it’s highest point later in the day – between 1400 until 1500 typically in summer
- Drink plenty of water – hydrated skin is healthy skin and tans faster
- The most sensitive parts of your body are nose, forehead, feet and under your eyes, so consider using higher factor cream on those parts
- It takes 4 hours after coming out of the sun for your tan to “develop”
The Steps to a great suntan
1/ Exfoliate your skin – this removes the dead skin cells that can block the sun getting through to your skin. A loofah or exfoliating cream will do this for you.
2/ Use a good quality sun cream with the right factor for you (start high!) Apply sun cream at least 20 minutes before going outside, and reapply often, especially after swimming. Make sure you don’t miss parts of your body.
3/ Build slowly – an hour or two per day at first, then find some shade.
4/ Keep turning! Ideally change position every 15 to 30 minutes to get an even tan.
5/ Shower to get all the cream off at the end of the day.
6/ Moisturise with a good quality moisturiser or after sun lotion.
Have a great holiday!
We recommend Suncare Central products – they come to your accommodation to bring you everything you need: Suncare Central.
Last Updated on