British Passport Holders Advice Post Brexit

We’re aware that many readers, who are British citizens, want information about passports post Brexit.

Of course, British citizens will be very welcome in Lanzarote after Brexit,  but a few things will change, so we’ll keep this page updated for you.

Here’s the key advice, from the British Government.

Passports and Visas

You will need to have at least 3 months clear on your passport at the start of your visit, but the passport must also have been issued within the last ten years.

Important: Some British passports have previously been renewed with unexpired months from a previous passport added on. As passport validity is taken as ten years from date of issue, this could cause a problem.

You do not need a visa to travel to Lanzarote, or any other country in the Schengen area, but your stay will be limited to 90 days in any 180 rolling day period in the Schengen area. The advice is to retain tickets or receipts to show when you entered the Schengen zone.

Border Checks

British citizens will no longer be able to use the EU lane at border crossing points. You may be asked for information about your stay and to ensure you are able to support yourself when here. Your passport will be stamped on entering and leaving.


The Spanish government has agreed to continue to provide healthcare for British visitors currently.

The EHIC , or European health card is no longer be valid. The UK has issued a new document, the GHIC.

Our advice is to ensure you have adequate travel insurance.

Driving Licences

Currently, the Spanish government has agreed that holders of British driving licences will not require an international driving permit when visiting as a tourist.

Moving to Lanzarote

British citizens will no longer have the right to live and work in Lanzarote, or any other Schengen country, after Brexit. They will have to apply through the process currently used by citizens of other countries outside the European Union.

The first step is to apply for a visa from your home country, before attempting to move here.

Air Passenger’s Rights And Roaming

EU laws about flight compensation will continue to apply to EU based airlines, and to any flight that originates in the EU. Therefore if you are flying on a non EU airline from UK, you may not have rights to compensation if your flight is delayed or cancelled.

The EU law insisting on no roaming charges will also cease to apply, although some UK air time providers have said they will continue to offer the service. Check with yours.

More reading: Understanding residency and paperwork.