Lanzarote could be the ideal location for remote working or for digital nomads. With companies being encouraged to allow their staff to work from home, and the advance of technology that allows people to work remotely, moving to the warmth of Lanzarote for a few months is a more realistic option than ever.
Many larger companies such as Google have decided to go fully remote in the future, and we can see that happening across many sectors and industries as businesses suddenly realise that they don’t need the high cost of running large offices.
Digital Nomads have been wintering in The Canaries for a few years now – these are people who earn their living exclusively online and travel from country to country.
Here are some of the benefits of remote working in Lanzarote:
- We have good weather all year round with much longer daylight hours than northern Europe
- The cost of living is lower than many countries, due to very our low VAT equivalent and our duty free status
- Most parts of the island now offer high speed fibre internet
- The cell network here is superb, with 4g available almost everywhere on the island
- We’re in the same time zone as UK and Ireland, and only one hour different from most of Europe
- We have a huge number of flight options to most of mainland Europe
- EU citizens have complete freedom of movement to live and work here for as long as they like
Coupled with all of the above, property rentals are relatively inexpensive, and it may be possible to do longer term deals with holiday home owners on the island for an extended stay.
Put all that together with some of the best beaches in Europe, an excellent night life scene, thousands of bars and restaurants, a very low incidence of Covid 19 and you have recipe for a fabulous 6 or 12 months remote working.
What are you waiting for?
More reading? Choosing where to live in Lanzarote.