We recommend all visitors to Lanzarote have travel insurance. Even if you are a European citizen, your EHIC card only covers you for emergency medical needs here.
We had an example recently which shows how important travel insurance can be. A family member had a heart attack while on holiday here. Of course, the ambulance and the primary care were covered brilliantly by his EHIC card, but it then transpired that he needed an operation which couldn’t be done here, and that’s when the travel insurance kicked in. He and his wife were flown to Gran Canaria, the operation was swiftly carried out in a private hospital, while his wife was put up in a hotel. And after he’d recovered, they were both flown home, accompanied by a nurse, and then driven to their own home. I can’t even guess how much that all cost, but it was all covered.
And it isn’t just medical issues. What if your suitcases go missing? What happens if you lose your wallet or its stolen? Travel insurance will sort you out.
We’ve been using Staysure for our travel insurance for a few years now, and we highly recommend them. They offer a number of options for those of you travelling to Lanzarote, or elsewhere:
- Single trip insurance for those of you who holiday once per year
- Multi trip insurance for those who regularly visit the island
- Long stay insurance for those of you who spend several weeks or months here
- Cover for people with pre existing medical conditions
- Cover for those of you who live in Lanzarote
- Cover for those over 65
- Add ons for USA and / or cruise
You can get a price for your cover here: Staysure travel insurance
Last Updated on